Articulate - Inheritance

Here's that other Articulate project I referenced in my last post.  Inheritance is a common concept for Biology 1010 and other introductory life sciences classes.  I chose to do a module on this concept because a) I understand it and b) it has a lot of combinations that lend themselves well to creating interactions.  I wanted to make something that would use layers and logic to create a custom activity.

Here’s a screenshot of the first screen in action.  It is an interaction called the “Gene Scrambler”:


ADDIE:

An important thing to mention here was the ADDIE method to develop it.  I started out with an idea of the material I wanted to cover and quickly realized upon outlining it that I had WAY TOO MUCH!  So I decided to pare it down to just the basics of inheritance – no incomplete dominance, gene interactions, etc.

Once I had determined the scope of my learning and written out the major points I wanted to cover, I started doodling out what the screens would look like.  I love that doodling because it’s where I really see whether my thoughts will translate into something engaging.  If it isn’t engaging on paper, it probably won’t be much better on a screen.

The “Gene Scrambler” from the first slide was fairly easy to visualize, but it took a little finagling to develop and get it looking decent.  I have tested the scrambler and the quiz a little, but I need to find a couple more people who are willing to give it a go and provide feedback.

Notes I don’t have a place for:

The font I used on the first slide title and subtitle was Aqua Grotesque by Laura Pol.  It’s a bit of an unusual font, but I was looking for something watery, and it did the trick.  Hooray for cool fonts online!

The last quiz question requires some Googling, and it says so in the question.  The challenge of being/appearing intelligent today is not how much you know but how well you can find the answer.  I’m a huge proponent of Googling.  There can’t be discovery without exploration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emojis & Standardization

Articulate Challenge – An Interaction to Teach Comparisons

Gamification @ Work